(CNN) The United States Food and Drug Administration is warning pet owners to stay away from Performance Dog frozen raw pet food produced on or after July 22, 2019, after a sample tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.Two samples of raw pet food — one of Performance Dog and the other of a beef variety — were taken by the FDA as a part of a routine inspection in the Bravo Packing, Inc. manufacturing facility in Carneys Point, New Jersey, the statement said.Click here to learn more
An Excerpt from the PVMA Newsletter & PSA From The ACGLO Team
‘On July 24th, Golden Bond Rescue of Oregon transported eight Golden Retrievers from China via Taipei, Taiwan to Seattle, WA. Upon their arrival, the dogs stayed the night in Tacoma, WA where one of the dogs became ill.
On July 25th, five of the eight dogs traveled to Portland, where they were seen at a local hospital. Although some of them had respiratory disease none were tested for CIV. Four of the five dogs were seen again at various veterinary hospitals, and three were tested for respiratory diseases including CIV. Two of the dogs have tested positive for CIV.
- One of the samples was confirmed as H3N2 at IDEXX
- The second sample tested at OSU is positive for CIV as well as parainfluenza and mycoplasma.
- One additional sample is pending for results.
Of the three dogs that were adopted in WA State, two were seen a second time at various veterinary clinics with respiratory disease, and with a history of originating from China and none were tested for H3N2.’
Again, we would like to reiterate the importance of vaccinating your dog against this highly contagious virus. Canine influenza is often spread unknowingly, as dogs actively shed the virus for 48 hours before signs and symptoms begin to appear. Dogs at special risk for canine flu include but are not limited to those that visit dog parks, daycare, dog shows, groomers, boarding facilities, travel (car, air, etc.), and those that are rescue animals. Dogs with pre-existing heart disease or lung disease, senior dogs, and brachycephalic breeds are also at a significant risk.
If you are concerned that your dog may be infected, or if you would like to schedule an appointment to have your dog vaccinated, please contact us immediately at 503-343-9735.
There’s been a recent outbreak of multi-drug resistant Salmonella across 33 states—and it’s linked to pig ear dog treats.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) a total of 127 people have been infected, with 26 hospitalized. 24 of the cases have been in kids younger than 5. No deaths have been reported at this time.
Animals and humans can become ill from simply handling the pig ears or even being in contact with surfaces where they were stored. Thorough hand washing is important if you touch these treats or a dog who has ingested them. You should also avoid letting your pets lick your face or any open wounds after they eat.
Most retailers have pulled pig ears from shelves and bins, but if you already have them at home, it’s important to dispose of them and not feed them to your pet. No single supplier has been identified at this time.
Symptoms of salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps. Identifying the illness in your dog may be more difficult, but sudden diarrhea and lethargy as well as vomiting may be present.
The CDC/FDA investigation is ongoing, and we’ll make sure you’re updated as we get more information.
If you have further questions about this issue or any concerns about your pet’s diet, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 503-343-9735.
If you feed your pet a grain-free diet, home-cooked meals or
food with exotic and atypical ingredients, you may want to reconsider. Veterinary
cardiologists, nutritionists and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are
currently investigating a possible link between those types of diets and the
development of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. DCM can result in abnormal
heart rhythms, congestive heart failure and even sudden death.
Update January 31, 6:30 pm CST:
Hill’s Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D. While vitamin D is an essential nutrient for dogs, ingestion of elevated levels can lead to potential health issues depending on the level of vitamin D and the length of exposure, and dogs may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction. Pet parents with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed and are exhibiting any of these signs should contact their veterinarian. In most cases, complete recovery is expected after discontinuation of feeding.Read the full article
FDA Alerts Pet Owners about the Presence of Thyroid Hormones in Certain Milo’s Kitchen Pet Treats
The J.M. Smucker Company has initiated a recall of certain Milo’s Kitchen dog treats due to the presence of thyroid hormones. The FDA is issuing this notice in order to make pet owners aware of the firm’s action.
The FDA has received reports of four dogs experiencing symptoms, including excessive thirst, excessive urination, increased appetite, and restlessness. Three of the dogs were tested and had increased concentrations of thyroid hormone in their blood, also known as hyperthyroidism. The fourth dog was not tested but was suspected to also be suffering from hyperthyroidism. After the pets’ veterinarians ruled out thyroid cancer as the cause, the FDA determined the hyperthyroidism was connected to an external source, such as a food. The FDA’s Vet-LIRN interviewed the dogs’ owners and confirmed that all of the dogs ate at least one of the recalled pet treat products from Milo’s Kitchen. Once the Milo’s Kitchen treats were removed from the dogs’ diets, the hyperthyroidism symptoms resolved.
Read the full article
FDA issues another warning about Tukwila-based Darwin’s raw pet food
The agency says there have been five recalls of and multiple complaints about Darwin’s, manufactured from Oct. 17, 2016, to March 26, concerning issues about shiga toxin-producing E. coli O128, salmonella and/or listeria monocytogenes.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued another public-health warning about potential contamination found in Tukwila-based Darwin’s Natural Selections and Darwin’s ZooLogics pet foods.
On Monday, the agency said there have been five recalls of and multiple complaints about Darwin’s, manufactured by Arrow Reliance from Oct. 17, 2016, to March 26. In each case, the FDA said the company recalled the products after being alerted that shiga toxin-producing E. coli O128, salmonella and/or listeria monocytogenes were found in samples of the raw pet food.
Darwin’s has notified its customers directly of the recalls, the FDA said, but it has not issued any public notification announcing this or any of the previous recalls. The agency warned that it has a zero-tolerance policy for harmful bacteria in pet food, “meaning the agency will take action, as appropriate.”
Read the full article
Radagast Pet Food of Portland, Oregon is recalling one lot of their Free-Range Chicken and one lot of Free-Range Turkey raw pet food because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria. No pet or human illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem. The FDA and the Ohio Department of Agriculture found two samples that tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. bacteria.
The lot of Rad Cat Raw Diet Free-Range Chicken has lot number 62762, a best by date of 10/19/18, and was shipped to distributors in May 2017 in California, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. The product has UPC codes depending on the package size.
Read the full article
Three dog food and treat products were recalled over the weekend by manufacturers because of possible listeria or salmonella contamination. This comes on the heels of a series of massive pet-food recalls this month over possible salmonella, listeria and pentobarbital contamination.
Northwest Naturals, of Portland, is recalling its 5-pound frozen Chicken and Salmon pet food chubs because it may be contaminated with listeria monocytogenes. Product is packaged in 5-pound frozen chubs labeled Chicken and Salmon Dog Food with a UPC code of 0 87316 38440 6 and a product best buy date code of 15 082218. The company says the product was one isolated batch of 94 cases distributed in California, Washington, Texas, Michigan, Georgia, and Rhode Island and sold thru specialty pet-retail stores.
(CBS) – Four companies are recalling pet food possibly contaminated with salmonella after six animals died or were sickened, and two children became ill, according to federal food safety officials.
The cases involving half a dozen pets, including a kitten, are tied to Darwin’s Natural and ZooLogics pet foods, made by Arrow Reliance of Tukwila, Wash., according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
“The FDA has investigated six complaints of illness and death in animals that have eaten the recalled products,” the agency said Wednesday.
Read the full article