(CNN) The United States Food and Drug Administration is warning pet owners to stay away from Performance Dog frozen raw pet food produced on or after July 22, 2019, after a sample tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.Two samples of raw pet food — one of Performance Dog and the other of a beef variety — were taken by the FDA as a part of a routine inspection in the Bravo Packing, Inc. manufacturing facility in Carneys Point, New Jersey, the statement said.Click here to learn more
An Excerpt from the PVMA Newsletter & PSA From The ACGLO Team
‘On July 24th, Golden Bond Rescue of Oregon transported eight Golden Retrievers from China via Taipei, Taiwan to Seattle, WA. Upon their arrival, the dogs stayed the night in Tacoma, WA where one of the dogs became ill.
On July 25th, five of the eight dogs traveled to Portland, where they were seen at a local hospital. Although some of them had respiratory disease none were tested for CIV. Four of the five dogs were seen again at various veterinary hospitals, and three were tested for respiratory diseases including CIV. Two of the dogs have tested positive for CIV.
- One of the samples was confirmed as H3N2 at IDEXX
- The second sample tested at OSU is positive for CIV as well as parainfluenza and mycoplasma.
- One additional sample is pending for results.
Of the three dogs that were adopted in WA State, two were seen a second time at various veterinary clinics with respiratory disease, and with a history of originating from China and none were tested for H3N2.’
Again, we would like to reiterate the importance of vaccinating your dog against this highly contagious virus. Canine influenza is often spread unknowingly, as dogs actively shed the virus for 48 hours before signs and symptoms begin to appear. Dogs at special risk for canine flu include but are not limited to those that visit dog parks, daycare, dog shows, groomers, boarding facilities, travel (car, air, etc.), and those that are rescue animals. Dogs with pre-existing heart disease or lung disease, senior dogs, and brachycephalic breeds are also at a significant risk.
If you are concerned that your dog may be infected, or if you would like to schedule an appointment to have your dog vaccinated, please contact us immediately at 503-343-9735.
There’s been a recent outbreak of multi-drug resistant Salmonella across 33 states—and it’s linked to pig ear dog treats.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) a total of 127 people have been infected, with 26 hospitalized. 24 of the cases have been in kids younger than 5. No deaths have been reported at this time.
Animals and humans can become ill from simply handling the pig ears or even being in contact with surfaces where they were stored. Thorough hand washing is important if you touch these treats or a dog who has ingested them. You should also avoid letting your pets lick your face or any open wounds after they eat.
Most retailers have pulled pig ears from shelves and bins, but if you already have them at home, it’s important to dispose of them and not feed them to your pet. No single supplier has been identified at this time.
Symptoms of salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps. Identifying the illness in your dog may be more difficult, but sudden diarrhea and lethargy as well as vomiting may be present.
The CDC/FDA investigation is ongoing, and we’ll make sure you’re updated as we get more information.
If you have further questions about this issue or any concerns about your pet’s diet, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 503-343-9735.
Dr. Feliciano is the hardest working, most understanding Dr. of any kind I’ve ever worked with. Our family cat “Oatmeal” came down with a 100% fatal disease, and while she was very honest about the prognosis, she spent her personal time beating down every door she could to see if we could get her into a research trial, as there has been an experimental drug that showed promise. Ultimately, our race against the clock ended with Oatmeal not making it, and the pharmaceutical company who made the compound didn’t have any more of the supply. One of the few good memories of this ordeal is that our Dr. was fighting the fight with us. Had we not received that kind of care, we’d wonder for years if something more could have been done. It’s comforting to know we got that effort. She’s a great person, very intelligent, and the staff there is great too. We felt like they were our cheering section for Oatmeal.
Excellent care for our dog. Dr Juvenal cares deeply, communicates often, and gave great care to our dog with urinary tract blockage. Dr. Juvenal went above and beyond to get our dog the care she needed, checking in with us afterwards to ensure our dog was doing well. Be aware overnight are is expensive; however, the care and attention is amazing and top rate at this veterinary hospital. Also the surroundings spotless, and care for your dog/cat anxiety level while waiting was obvious. 🙂
Dr. Takashima/Parkway have been our vet(s) for about 25 years +/-. First in Mountain Park w/our beloved Emma, a yellow lab who lived a long, good, and healthy life. Our black lab, Stella Blue, is now approaching 11, and she’s been treating at Parkway Vet since the day we got her-she is showing a lot of white on her nose these days. Our daughter got her first dog last May and a new puppy owner has lots of questions for her puppy’s vet. We have literally experienced the entire arc of our dogs’ lives w/Parkway. All of the vets and staff at Parkway are patient, lovely, warm compassionate people. We are very grateful to the everyone who has helped us. I highly recommend Parkway Vet Hospital.
If you feed your pet a grain-free diet, home-cooked meals or
food with exotic and atypical ingredients, you may want to reconsider. Veterinary
cardiologists, nutritionists and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are
currently investigating a possible link between those types of diets and the
development of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. DCM can result in abnormal
heart rhythms, congestive heart failure and even sudden death.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease — carried by many wild and domestic animals — that can cause kidney and liver failure. Even urban chickens, although not a carrier of this disease, can attract rats or other small mammals that may increase the risk of your pet’s exposure to leptospirosis.
Update January 31, 6:30 pm CST:
Hill’s Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D. While vitamin D is an essential nutrient for dogs, ingestion of elevated levels can lead to potential health issues depending on the level of vitamin D and the length of exposure, and dogs may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction. Pet parents with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed and are exhibiting any of these signs should contact their veterinarian. In most cases, complete recovery is expected after discontinuation of feeding.Read the full article